GPFLR Learning Network

Discussion Platform Forest Landscape Restoration

Climate change studies have shown that human activities are important driver of climate change. Find attached a one-page article on drivers of climate change (click here to open the article).

The authors of the article suggest that future land use and land cover change, especially the conversion from forests into agriculture, seems to be an important driver of climate change.

Have you noticed any forest conversion in your own country? What have been the major drivers behind it? What has been its effects? Who is actually affected by this? Can you give us some concrete examples?

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alright, so you can tell us all about the Miyun watershed and its restoration. It has been included as one of the future FLR learning sites, as you can see on the section FLR learning sites if you click here

I also heard much about it from Li Jia, your colleague at IUCN China. But I'd love to know it better, and so will fellow network members. Especially Myry, who is worried about deforestation around the urban centres of the Philippines.

Why is it that you think the work in Miyun is not sustainable? What is the bottleneck? I always understood that the work was strongly supported by the government and the water providing companies providing the capital. And that implementation was done with strong participation of local people. Is that true?

Hi Hu

Nice hearing from you. It is always nice to hear of colleagues views from different places on an issue. As you indicated in your reply, it is really a controversial issue when it comes to the main drivers of climate change. Many people believe the world’s climate is changing due to heavy industrialization, intensive transportation etc. but upon a second look people have come to realised that the forest use/store carbon. For this reason anytime that the forest is cleared a huge quantity of carbon is realised which might be greater than those produced from other sectors, although this is still arguable.

If it is really true that the forest stores this huge quantity of carbon then any activity being it legal or illegal that leads to the clearance of the forest will be leading to the realise of carbon into the environment influencing climate change negatively.

I believe this might be the reason behind many restoration activities all over the globe. China has been undertaking some restoration activities, which a friend of my Binjx informed me of about a year ago. I also came to know of the Miyun watershed project, where the vegetation cover has increased with a decreased in grassland and agricultural land. I read a lot about the project but I really want to know much on a project from the field.

I will really appreciate it, if you can share with me and other interested colleagues your experience from the field so far regarding this project interms of initiatives that were undertaken.

Regards

gloria

Hi,

I think, climate change predictions for Western Region in India is coming true. Extreme rainfall events and increased rainfall was projected by some of the papers published earlier.  My farm situated in Western Ghats region, received  270 cm of rainfall within 6 six hours yesterday. Half of my small farm is eroded. This is the highest rainfall in a day since 1964, from which I have the data.

Balu 

HI Balu,

What worrying information, losing part of your farm as a result of heavy rains and erosion. In Wageningen, my experience last year and this year, tells me this year’s summer is wettest among the two. Also I read of some news about extreme weather conditions elsewhere in the world on the net an example being extreme drought condition in a refugee camp in Kenya.

I hope we find a remedy soon so that our world will be a better place.  I am curious to know, from your observation for the past years, what do you consider to be the driving cause of this change in climate?

regards

gloria

In the Philippines, especially on Mindanao, most upland forest areas are infiltrated by mining companies. The Total Logging Ban (Executive Order 23) of the Philippines banned private companies to operate on public areas, and those operating under the lens of sustainable forest management such as the Surigao Development Corporation were stopped. Since then, mining companies started infiltrating the back of the mountains previously managed by "good" companies. The indigenous peoples who were partners of some good companies were now laborers hired by mining companies today. 

RSS

© 2017   Created by FLR Learning Network.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service